Project Background and justification
After 2011, Afghanistan government initiated a new push for modernization of its economy. From one perspective this trend of modernization is part of the worldwide phenomenon of globalization. But is Afghanistan on the right track? Has Afghanistan been able to take strategic decisions to reach its developmental goals?
To assess the current economic situation of the country and evaluate the policies undertaken by the Afghan government, the AISS decided to conduct a research project on the implication of post-Taliban economic policies of the government in Herat Province- one the most dynamic economies in the entire country. The following characteristics makes Herat an important: a) Herat is the second biggest province in Afghanistan. b) Herat hosts the first industrial park of its kind in Afghanistan. c) As a border province, Herat is a center for foreign trade and investment. And d) Herat is the most important source of Afghanistan’s revenues.
Project Goal and Objectives
- Analyzing the economic statues of Herat province
- Evaluating the economic policies of the government in Herat
- Assessing the impact of government, s economic polies on Herat’s economic, political and social life
Project Outcome and results
- Recognizing the challenges and problems of modernization of economy in Afghanistan- especially in Herat province.
- Presenting practical solutions for reviewing and reforming status quo.
Beneficiaries and Stakeholders
Beneficiaries of this project can be categorized in two parts:
- Specific beneficiaries: the results and findings of this research project can be used by government of Afghanistan and relevant agencies who are dealing with the economic modernization of the country.
- General beneficiaries: the ordinary citizens of the country are all among the general beneficiaries of this project.
The research team would use a mixed methodology including desk research and field data collection. Besides using secondary data, the research team would gather data through conducting in-depth interviews with Key Informants in the fields of agriculture, industry and commerce in Herat province. Then the collected data will be analyzed based on a fitting theoretical framework.